The owners of this site take the protection of your personal data very seriously. We treat your personal data confidentially and
The use of our website is possible without providing personal data. When personal information is requested (for example, name and
email address on the contact form), this is given voluntarily. This data will not be passed on to third parties.
We point out that sending information over the Internet is subject to security issues.
Complete protection of the data from being accessed by third parties is not possible.
in the operation of this site. Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer by
Most of the cookies we use are "session cookies". They are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Other cookies
remain stored on your device until you delete them. These cookies allow us to recognize your browser the next time you visit
and restore some of your preferences (such as your preferred language).
You can configure your browser settings so that you are informed about the setting of cookies and allow cookies only in certain cases.
Disabling cookies may limit the functionality of this website.
Server log files
The provider of these pages automatically collects and stores information in server log files, which your browser
transmits to us. These are:
- Browser type and version
- Operating system
- Referrer URL
- Host name of the accessing computer
- IP address (anonymized)
- Time of request
These data can not be assigned to specific persons. This data will not be merged with other data sources.
We reserve the right to check this data retrospectively, if we become aware of specific indications for illegal use.
If you send us inquiries via the contact form, your details from the inquiry form, including the contact details you provided there,
will be stored in order to process the request and in case of follow-up questions. Of course, we will not pass on this data.
Right to information, cancellation, blocking
At any time you have the right to obtain information about your stored personal data, their origin and recipients and the
purpose of any processing or transmission, along with a right to correct, block or delete this data. For further information
on personal data you can contact us at any time.
- I maintain this website as a part of my genealogy hobby when time permits - I have now retired but still am often away from my mail and systems.
- I currently live in Hampshire in England, but did live in South Africa(38 years) up to 2001, and prior to that, Kenya(16 years).
- I do not get paid for this website - I pay the hosting costs out of my own pocket.
- Any donations will be gratefully received - my PayPal button is at the bottom of the left hand menu and in the footer of every page.
- 95% of the family tree information has been supplied by you, the user and viewer. I do not have time to verify it all for accuracy. I take your input in good faith that it is your work and you are giving it freely. I will try to acknowledge you as the source where ever I can.
- I try to update this website as often as I can, but it may be up to a month before your contributions are published.
- To those who have and do send me updates and additions to the 1820 Settler family trees, they are welcome, as it all helps towards creating a complete and accurate record for future generations. Thank you.
- Updates and additions can be submitted via email of the Contact Us or Submit Comments. I can also accept pdf, word or gedcom files with information
- I get approximately 50 emails a day in my in-box, of which 25 are spam - I still have to check them.
- By submitting acceptable data to me, it is implied that you have permission to do so, and are giving me permission to publish that data and retain that data and email information within my databases.
- It should not be necessary for you to register or login IF you are only going to view the data on the website. However, I would prefer you to have registered and logged in, and then I would know that you are genuine and not a spammer!
- If I miss your genuine registration request, I apologise - send me a direct email and I will check back on it.
- I try and monitor the Guestbook, and articles for hacked abusive/advertising entries as often as I can, and then have to spend time clearing out the garbage. Apologies if I miss some - but let me know anyway.
- Unfortunately I am not an Afrikaans speaker, but we are trying to translate the website functionality into Afrikaans, ie the menus, column headers, etc. NO data that is held in any database will be transcribed into Afrikaans, but there may be some already in the database that is in Afrikaans as it was transcribed that way. If you find that our 'google' translations are incorrect, please let me know which page, and what the Afrikaans should be. You should be able to toggle between English and Afrikaans using the top line menu toggle on any page.
- I, Paul Tanner-Tremaine, compiler and owner of these pages take no responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy of any of the information directly submitted to or extracted from this Website, and reject any liability due to direct or indirect damages caused by this.
- This Web site and ALL information on the pages is provided for the purpose of genealogical research.
- Every attempt has been made to ensure complete accuracy of this information and no permission is granted or given for use of this material for any purpose other than genealogical research.
- The use of this information for commercial use is prohibited. Ownership of all information remains the property of the owner and/or any other contributors of information to this Website.
- The information used on these web pages has been obtained from various sources and is published here in good faith.
- Should anyone feel that anything on this website violates any copyright laws or their personal rights please let me know and I undertake to remove the offending material as soon as possible, if justified.
The primary objective in genealogy is to identify all ancestors and descendants in a particular family tree and to collect personal data on them. As a minimum this data includes the individual's name and the date location of birth, marriage, and death. In order to support research by other genealogists, this data is often published on internet genealogy Web sites.
Most of us would prefer not to have to worry about our personal data but, in this day and age, we must use caution to prevent misuse of the information. Identity theft and credit fraud are the worst problems. There is concern that information distributed to distant relatives or put on a genealogy Web site makes it easier for unscrupulous individuals to commit invasions of privacy or other frauds. However, the personal information that the identity thieves and credit fraud perpetrators want are full names, ID and social security numbers, dates and places of birth, current occupation, employment data, and bank/credit card account numbers. One or two facts alone (e.g. your name and or your mother's maiden name) are not enough information to cause damage.
Names and Relationships
Many genealogy programs can suppress the names of living individuals and substitute "living" or "still living". I can change this Website so it does suppress the names of all living individuals. However, I chose not to, as that defeats the objective of identifying descendants of the 1820 Settlers and assisting other researchers in "finding their place" in the 1820 Settler genealogies and establishing their own ancestry and if they are linked to them.
Personal Data Suppression To ensure the privacy of living individuals, I will only show their names publically, and not their birth dates, occupations, residential addresses or any other personal information. If you are concerned that your name is shown here, please let me know, so I can remedy the situation by flagging your website information as private and non-viewable by the general public or by logged in members.
I do keep all my genealogy information in my desktop program, currently Family Historian, and I do privatise the information that I have before creating and uploading the export file which I import into the Website application. Any information that I flag as "private" in Family Historian does not get exported to the website.
My desktop computers are protected by a router with a built in firewall, the normal Windows defender schemes and F-Secure, one of the best anti-virus and internet protection systems available today. The genealogy data and other folders such as my mail are backed up on a daily basis to two separate disk drives on my local network.
My incoming mail is firstly protected by my mail provider, and secondly by a MailWasher system.
Note: Only some family members and specific approved researchers who have a login and login to the site will be able to view living individual information. Currently this is less than 0.5% of the registered users.
Website Access dataEach time this website is visited,whether it be by a private individual or by a robot search engines such as Google, Yahoo or Bing,that visit is logged by the system. The log file includes the IP address of the visitor, the user name if logged in, and the pages visited during that session. There is also a 'bot-trap' in place which checks the ip address against a known 'rogue' or spammer database, and if in that list, does not allow access to any data held within this website. We are also able to manually set an IP address or range of addresses as 'Blocked'.
The log files are cleared on a rolling count of the number of entries in the logfile. Currently the file does not hold more than a few days worth of activity. We use the data within the logfile for purely statistical data, ie how long a session lasts, the country of origin of that session user, and pages visited.
You are responsible for keeping secret any confidential passwords or other login or access details that you select or which we allocate to you. While we take steps to ensure the security of your information, there is a risk that any information transmitted over the Internet and stored on a computer may be intercepted or accessed by an unauthorised party. Passowrds are stored as an encrypted password, but user login names are not encrypted. If you think that someone has accessed your information held by us without your permission or gained unauthorised access to your login details, you must notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also recommend that if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place such as a library that you close your browser when you have finished your session.
Photographs Photographs of living individuals are considered personal data and are normally suppressed. I try to keep photos of potentialy living persons out of the Picture Gallery.
GDPR Compliance The data controller for www.1820settlers.com is Paul Tanner-Tremaine.
Personal Data collected by consent for the website to operate includes
If you require that your user login be deleted, please send me an email with your user name and email address.
- User Name (may or may not be a users real name)
- E-mail address
- Users time zone
- Users Country
- Password, this is stored in encrypted form and has a one way encrypt and is not recoverable in original format.
- Additional optional fields that have been entered by the user during registration.
- IP address (for registration and for each post)
- Posts to the Forums or Guest Book, made by the user
- On completion of the registration form, an acknowledgement email will be sent to the user to confirm activation of their login account
Personal Data Security By submitting genealogical data to me, either verbally, by email, or by any form of submission directly from the website, you implicitly give me permissions to store your names and any contact details in my databases as part of that submission. By registering for an account, or by submitting a Family Group Worksheet by the online form, that permission is explicitly given. In turn, I will endeavor to keep that personal information private and secure to the best of my abilities.
Original data submitted to me on living persons (personal information, e-mail, street addresses, phone numbers, etc.) is taken on trust that you, the submitter have the relevant permissions to do so.
You should be aware, however, that most of this information may already be in the public domain and may be readily available to others using internet search engines (e.g. Facebook, Yahoo People Search, Ancestry, Family Search, Findmypast, Geni, MyHeritage, Wikitree, Google.com, Birthday.com, etc.).
Research As part of my genealogy hobby, I do a fair amount of research into the 1820 Settler trees to verify the accuracy of the data that I have, and to complete their ancestry and descendancy as best I can. I do use a lot of the above mentioned websites, and others in sourcing data, as well as a never ending expanding library of books to which I have access. Again, all these books are in the public domain, but unfortunately not all have completely accurate information. I do try to cite my sources wherever I can.
All of the pages located within the domain http://www.1820settlers.com are accessible to the public for free without charges or fees of any kind, with the exception of access to data on living persons which is allowed only to a few approved registered researchers.
The information on this site is intended to be freely used by researchers for personal, non-commercial use that is not meant to generate income or money. All of the transcriptions and other research located on this site have been undertaken by myself, owner of the Web site, or other interested genealogists who have submitted their transcriptions directly or publically.
For those who wish to use this information for personal, noncommercial purposes, I ask only that you give credit by citing the page URL address (http:.''...) that contains the information you are using, and or the name and address of the main page of the Web site,
for example: British 1820 Settlers to South Africa or https://www.1820settlers.com
Note: It is expressly forbidden for anyone to charge for access to these pages, or to provide the information contained on them to anyone for any kind of fee or charge, or to use them in a commercial manner. If you have been charged a fee to access these pages, or know of a site that is doing so, or that is reproducing information from this site for a fee, please contact me using the link at the bottom of the page. Thanks.
The domain www.1820settlers.com is owned by me, Paul Tanner-Tremaine
This database contains information that has been proven as well as information that is speculative and in the process of being proved or disproved. Do not take everything you find here (or in any other online database) as gospel truth.
- The British 1820 Settlers to South Africa Web site is for the personal and is limited to the purpose of genealogical research. The content of this site can not be used for any sort of unsolicited mail or commercial purposes.
- Individual images may be copied by users for their personal use. General distribution, including use on other Web sites, is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the owner of the photo, living individuals in the photo (if identifiable), and the site owner.
- Biographies and documents may be copied by users for their personal use. General distribution (including use on other Web sites) is prohibited by copyright law unless permission is obtained from the site owner.
- In the event of permitted copying or distribution of copyrighted material, no changes in. or deletion of author attribution or copyright notice shall be made. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading copyrighted material.
- You agree to give appropriate credit for any material from this Web site that you use in a written document, genealogical database, or Web site of your own. You agree to include a link to our site on any genealogical Web page of yours that makes use of the content on this site.
Please help towards my time and effort in maintaining this website. Every £, $, € and Rand helps!
|Many Thanks, Paul
This site powered by v. 14.0.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2023.
Maintained by .