- [S6] M D Nash, "The Settler Handbook", (Chameleon Press ISBN 0 620 10940 8), 16 Feb 2003, p86.
- [S16] King, Tessa, King, Tessa, (emails on South-Africa-L@rootsweb.com Mailing list), 18 May 2003, Randall file, firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. JAMES3 RANDALL (JAMES2, JAMES1)106,107,108 was born 13 July 1817 in Westbury, Wiltshire, England109,110,111,111, and died 14 June 1860 in 'Mount Pleasant', Newcastle, Peddie District, Eastern Cape, South Africa112. He married ELIZA HAYWARD113,114 16 August 1836 in Eastern Cape, South Africa115,116, daughter of JAMES HAYWARD and TABITHA PRISTOW. She was born 11 April 1819 in Frome, Somerset, England117,118, and died 1910118.
Notes from Trevor John Dickerson who has researched this family:
James Jnr arrived in SA with his parents at the age of 3 years. He was given a farm in the Peddie district for services rendered in the 1835 Frontier War. This farm in the Peddie district was named 'Mount Pleasant', which borders on the Umtata River and is adjacent to the farms, Tharfield, Glendower, Falloden and Rush Fountain.
It was after the 8th and worst Kaffir war that James and his brother John applied for farms across the Fish River to start over again. James received 'Mount Pleasant', a 659 morgen farm in the district named Victoria County, between the Gualana and Mtati Rivers. John received 'Hoggsback' to the south of James' farm, also between the same two rivers. The government for the Ciskei homeland bought both of these farms.
A system of settlement suggested by Thomas Holden Bowker, but called the "Cathcart System", came into being after the 7th Frontier war of 1846. This system embraced the settling of selected farmers within the previously unappropriated portions of this territory. Preference was given to those applicants who had distinguished themselves during the Frontier wars. The farms were granted on condition of personal occupation and under a quitrent system.
At some stage James became the owner of a portion of the Lanham allocation No. 5 which was called Orange Grove. Today, Julius Samuels lives there in the original Lanham house, still standing and much enlarged.
It is presumed that James would have farmed his family's No. 10 land after the purchase of 'Oliveburn'.
- [S111] Sharon Marshall with input from Dave Raymer, Hayward Gedcom - May 2003.
- [S380] Bathurst English Episcopal Church, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1829 Bathurst English Episcopal Church, (Cory PR 3448).
- [S1085] Bathurst English Episcopal Church, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1829, (Cory PR 3448).
- [S390] Grahamstown Methodist - Commemoration Chapel, Register 29/3/1822 -1860, (CORY MS 15 899/1).
- [S391] Bathurst Methodist Church Register, Baptisms 1844 - 1867 Bathurst Methodist Church Register, (CORY MS 15 348).
- [S1146] Bathurst Methodist Church Register, Baptisms: 1844 -1867, (CORY MS 15 348).
- [S523] Settlers Return, submitted by John Colston of Frome, Somerset.
- [S3527] 1820 Settler's Centenary Genealogical records, (https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/305287), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVZ-59R7-5?i=1774&cat=305287 (Reliability: 3).
- [S372] Dickerson, Trevor - DICKERSON Family Tree, DICKERSON Family Tree.
- [S348] Whittal, Vernon, WHITTAL Family GEDCOM, (See list of further references below in the note).
- [S484] Kirby, Donald, Peddie - Settlers Outpost, (Edited and compiled by J B Bullock).
- [S464] Allen, Veronica, Allen, Veronica.
- [S2597] SA Cape Death Notices, (https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2517051), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-8FQM?i=1350&cc=2517051&cat=331262 (Reliability: 3).
||Hayward, Eliza(1819-1910) DN
Caption Note: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-8FQM?i=1350&cc=2517051&cat=331262
Keywords: Death Notice
- [S112] Raymer, David, 21 May 2003.
b6 Eliza * 1818 x Bathurst 18.8.1836 James RANDALL (farmer) (son of James & Rebecca Randall) born Wiltshire c.1817 died 14.6.1860 [9 children born of the marriage]
- [S2181] Family Search website, (www.familysearch.org), https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GTWM-SW9R (Reliability: 3).
- [S3798] SA Anglican Parish Registers 1801-2004, Cape Marriages [LDS], (https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2338744), https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKD-WS9Y-M?i=26&cat=244034 (Reliability: 3).