Index list of Cape Permit records
These records were transcribed by me from viewing the actual digital records held on www.familysearch.org. The records have been captured into a database table, which then allows them to be displayed in alphabetical order according to the surname.
The names that appear in any of these transcription lists may or may not be related to any of the 1820 Settlers. The database is here as an aid for you to help finding your relations.
By selecting the first letter of the surname of interest from the links below, it will lead you to a page of all the surnames in the database table that start with that letter. From there, it is possible to select the surname, and all the captured records for that surname will be displayed.
To View the actual record of the Permit, click on the Clickable record Link.
The records that have been transcribed are from image number 406 at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-69QJ-V through to image number 893.
The following sections of the film 1295179 have not been transcribed, but can be browsed beginning at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-697D-7:
- Images 5 - 21 : List of the Archives of the South African Radio League.
- Images 25 - 127 : List of Documents of the Association of Chambers of Commerce of SA (1909)
- Images 131 - 283 : Lys vand die Argief van Die Affrikaanse Christelike Vrouvereniging
- Images 287 - 401 : List of the documents of the Secretary of the Loyal South African BUD of Hope Lodge of the Independant Order of Odd-Fellows.
- Images 894 - 897 : a list of Soldiers and three images listing permits issued.
- Images 904 - 1228 : Various index lists of permits issued up to July 1843.
- Images 1233 - 1446 : Undated and unnumbered permits issued to non-British?
The requirement for British Subjects to have permits ceased on 15th May 1829
Show Surnames starting with:
Currently there are 480 records in this database table. Click ALL
to list all in file sequence. You can then use Ctrl-F to 'Find' a name.
Please help towards my time and effort in maintaining this website. Every £, $, € and Rand helps!
|Many Thanks, Paul
This site powered by v. 14.0.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2023.
Maintained by . | .